Friday, May 22, 2009

I'm not feeling very chatty today so

how about another artist feature?


This time from PetalbyPetal. Being that my mother uses polymer clay to make her dolls, I find myself being partial to artists who also use it. PetalbyPetal is one of those artists.


Her thoughts...
"As a small child I loved two things, making things with my hands and flowers. Well I‘m all grown up now (although I am sure that there are those who beg to differ) but I still love flowers and making things, so now I make flowers out of clay, air dry polymer clay to be exact. I guess some things never change! Living in Hawaii, I’m constantly surrounded by the most beautiful tropical flowers with the most enticing scents. But there are always the memories of flowers that I’ve seen on trips to Europe or other States that just don’t survive in our tropical weather, flowers like the peony or lily of the valley. So what better way to bring them home than to recreate them out of clay?


All my flowers are made entirely by hand, Petal by Petal, no molds or cutters are used. I use white clay, mix it with the primary colors in order to achieve all the different hues and shades. Some flowers get some accent painting as well, just enough to make them look as realistic as possible. The flowers are great keepsakes as they never wilt, don’t need watering and you can have out of season flowers all year round! I guess that’s why they are so popular for weddings and gifts.


I started working with Claycraft clay in 2000, when it had first arrived here from Japan. The founders’ daughter had just started teaching here and I became one of her first students, a mere year later becoming an instructor and teaching there for a few years. Today I teach at my own studio and make custom order floral designs, mostly for weddings and home décor.



My students and clients had often urged me to open a shop on Etsy and to start a blog. Somehow I just never took the internet leap, preferring to interact with people face to face. Well, now the shop is up and I’m working on a blog so I can show some of the beautiful custom orders that didn’t go through Etsy."



I think her work is absolutely amazing and the detail is incredible!!

I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!!

No comments: