Thursday, August 27, 2009
From day one, he's been glued to my side. At times it's quite maddening (especially when we're at someone's house and there are plenty of kids to play with) and others it's comforting. More often than not, he's too shy to say a boo to anyone so it always surprises me when he'll talk someone's ear off.
This morning after we had finished our grocery shopping and I was loading them into the back of the 'Burb, this man with a big white bushy beard walked by. This kid belts out at the top of his lungs, "Hi Santa!" The man, good naturally, replied, "Hello! Ho! Ho! Ho!", throwing this kid into a fit of giggles. I lost it...I could not stop laughing! It was so unlike him to do something like that. I asked him, "How to you know it was Santa?" His answer, "Cuz, he had a big mustache all over his face." (Like, duh Mom!)
As I continued loading groceries, my kindergartner asked, "What that inappropriate for him to call that guy Santa?" Whoa! Big word for a little kid! Obviously they must be learning about what's appropriate and inappropriate at school.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
- We've been invaded. By ants. Yuck. (Or have we invaded their "space"?) My kids have been gracious hosts for the invaders by leaving crumbs, cherrios and cantaloupe chunks on the floor for the ants to carry off. We've probably read them "The A Book" a few too many times. "Angry ants advance...". They're just trying to keep the peace in the house.
- JB and her family are making an appearance to our Humble Abode this weekend. Excitement fills the air! At least for me and the kids.
- All Hubby can think about is hunting, which opens on Saturday.
- There are perks to his one track mind....all our kids, right down to the baby, now know how to call in an elk, should the need ever arise. What? You mean, you don't need to call in elk on a regular basis?!? Yeah, our house sounds like a herd of cows being strangled.
- This is one of my favorite pictures of her so far. It totally captures her usual expression. I can't help but smile while looking at it.
- As real life is interfering with able mabel life, I'm starting to raid my Artfire shop to keep my Etsy shop stocked. Robbing the poor to feed the rich...
- I got my cart filled at fabric.com. I bought some chalk cloth to make chalkboards/bullentin boards for our church craft sale. I'm going to layer cork and batting (so I won't need such a thick layer of cork) and cover it with the chalk cloth. We'll see if that idea works...
- Speaking of the craft sale, I went over to a friend's house yesterday to work on some flower headbands and clips. We managed to get quite a few done despite all the toddlers at our toes. It's always fun to work with someone else! I realized as soon as the table was filled with wonderous color, that I forgot my camera at home. Shoot! (or I guess, I couldn't shoot.)
Monday, August 24, 2009
I had another customer want a blanket out a certain fabric, which I found on fabric.com. My cart is now $.66 away from the free shipping mark ($35) and I'm having the worst time trying to find something to add to it. I mean, as if. Usually, I'm painfully having to decide which fabrics I can live without at checkout because my total is so ridiculously high.
I must be tired....Maybe I'll have better luck shopping in the morning.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
In our other house, I had this wall of windows in my breakfast nook that had the best lighting mid morning to early afternoon. It was a breeze snapping pictures there. I barely had to edit this one...
Friday, August 21, 2009
This morning after sending the kids off to school, I started in on a few piles in my bedroom. I had been waiting for them to disappear on their own, but alas they didn't. I was whistling Dixie while I was sorting thru piles of junk....er....stuff, quite pleased with my progress.
My baby was napping and the two toddlers were playing in the toy room. Ahhh. I was in the "zone".
The three year old wandered into my room to curl up on my bed and watch the piles disappear. I realized then that the singing I heard from the two year old was no longer upstairs but down. Oh no! I raced down to see what she was into.
This one is a digger, which I'm sure you've realized by now. The earlier she wakes up, the dingier she becomes. This morning it was rise and shine (well, cloud) at 7 am. Not a good sign. She had tunneled her way thru a pan of brownies, eating the tunnelings in the process.
I busted her, standing on the very tips of her toes trying to reach into my tote of office supplies. Whew! One disaster averted! (and to think it's only 9:30 am. I won't even get into the items I've snagged out of her little fingers as I sit here typing.)
She does this all while humming sweetly to herself. Don't let her singing fool you. ;) (We adore this little monkey. She makes up for all her shenanigans in many other ways.)
Sorry, Hubby! Guess I can't do anymore cleaning or organizing until she napping!!
(Yes! I knew there was a way out of this dreadful chore!)
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
We were counting last night how many times we've moved in the 11 years we've been married. I think we came up with 9 times. I told Hubs that I'm starting to feel like a family of gypsies! In defense of that high number...we built two houses in MN. Each time, we'd live in temporary housing (once with his mom and dad and once with my sister and her family) while the house was going up.
I wouldn't mind settling down into a house for more than three years but I'm not holding my breath! We seem to be gluttons for punishment!
Meanwhile, the fun of moving continues. I'm typing this post while reaching over a huge pile of misc junk on my desk. I can almost see the floor in my bedroom, which is an improvement. I can't wait to be all organized and cleaned up.
Thankfully we have an awesome group of family and friends here who helped us get moved in in no time! We would have been so lost without them, especially when Hubby went down sick on Saturday evening. (I claim he was just "sick of moving" and was looking for an excuse to get out of moving. I'm totally kidding. He was pretty bad off, I would have never traded spots with him.)
I promise I'll post pictures...as soon as I can find my camera...
Thursday, August 13, 2009
- I have a scar on my left wrist crease. It's from being stung by a bee while at the zoo for a birthday party. I was about 9 years old.
- I have a scar on my right hand. My sister and I were sitting on the couch at our grandparents' house when the window fell in on us. I was about 5. I distinctly remember my grandpa pulling out the piece of glass.
- I've been married to my wonderful husband for 11 years. He brought me flowers on Friday (one day early since we were headed out camping) and I was so confused as to why I'd be getting flowers. I had totally forgotten about our anniversary (for once! ;) ).
- I've sold both Pampered Chef and Tupperware in my short lifetime. It was loads of fun and I got a ton of free stuff. Each time I quit I was newly pregnant and oh so lazy to continue, much to the disappointment of my managers!
- I have a lovely habit of picking at my baby toe nails while reading books. More often than not, I have no baby toe nails. Is there a support group for that?
- I still think my husband is pretty darn funny after all these years.
- I will always be thankful I got braces as a teenager. It did heaps for my self confidence at the time. (Thanks Mom and Dad!)
- I didn't know I needed glasses until 6th grade. I aced the right eye but when I went to do the left one, I couldn't see squat. Don't you dare call me four eyes...I'm only a three eyed gal. (I only wear a contact in my left eye not my right. Makes contacts half the price! Duh...)
- More often that not, I'm an impulsive shopper and then have buyer's remorse. I think I return more than I keep. (But not as much as Jessica! Sorry, couldn't resist!) Anyone wanna go shopping? :)
- I have 10 fingers and 10 toes. (Is that considered cheating!?!?)
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
We got word yesterday morning that we're able to close on the house we're purchasing on Friday. It was a bit of a surprise that all the paperwork was done this early, we figured it would be next week at least before it was all done. We're hoping to move most of our stuff in on Saturday since school starts on Monday. The less I have to drive the kids to and fro to school, the better. Hopefully I won't have to drive them at all if we get everything moved this weekend. If I'm MIA for a few days, you'll know why.
In the meantime, I hosted craft night for our church craft sale last night, we have a showing today (I'll be cleaning like mad here shortly), open house for the kids at school tomorrow afternoon, trying to finish up an order tomorrow morning, cleaning the new house tonight and tomorrow night before the carpets get cleaned on Friday. (Is it naptime yet?!?)
I suppose packing up to move is going to optional. I'm seriously thinking that we'll just gather all the laundry baskets, empty boxes and garbage bags, toss it all in and move it like that. Sounds super disorganized but I don't really have time to pack everything up neatly.
Apparently I thrive on chaos...
Monday, August 10, 2009
Friday, August 7, 2009
I got an e-mail this morning from Athleta, a division of Gap. I knew that Gap had this shop but had never checked out. Remember that Tight Finn in me? It immediately clicked on the e-mail when I saw they were having an up to 70% off sale.
Oh boy! Talk about gorgeous prints, patterns and colors! Totally up my alley!
They have to-die-for bags,
Thursday, August 6, 2009
I'm clock racing this morning only to have two hours of doing absolutely nothing while I wait for our appliances to be delivered this afternoon. They gave me a two hour window and I'm hoping it's closer to the first hour. This is where it would be handy to have a laptop. I feel like I have quite a few loose able mabel ends to tie up. Instead I'll bring along a pillow that needs to be hand sewn. Too bad I don't have a few more ready to go. After that is done, I'll just hurry up and wait.
Maybe I should bring paper and a pen and start making lists. It's amazing how less cluttered the brain feels when it's all written down a paper. I'm apt to have less "duh" moments.
Like this morning...I went to Wal Mart (I hate that store, have I told you that before? But I needed thread, batting, Diamond Glaze (which they were out of. shocking.) etc.), forgetting my list at home. I had the kids along so I was doing crowd control while racking my brain for what was on my list. I managed to remember it all, I thought. I got home and started making a birthday cake for our daughter who proudly turns 5 today. Oops, no flour. I checked my e-mail to see that I had an order waiting for me. Ooops, no packaging supplies left.
The more I sit here and whine the more I realize how great the list making idea sounds. Then I'll feel like I'm sort of in control...
I think I'll wash my floor before I dash out the door. It's makes me a bit more clear headed to at least have a clean floor.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Monday, August 3, 2009
I was quite impressed with my husband. I called him on my way home to see what he was up to and he was just on his way back down from a hike with all the rest of the kids. Quite ambitious!
- Bake pies.
- Bake bread.
- Do any sort of canning. The more the better.
All the rest of baking and cooking is just a bonus. (he said this with a big cheese on his face.)
I just chuckled at him because it was just another subtle hint that he would love it if I did those three things for him. He's been after me for years to bake him bread and pies but it's just not my thing. My friend gave me a recipe yesterday for fresh peach and raspberry pie so I just might dust off the rolling pin and give it another shot.
As for the bread...ugh...I just don't have very good luck with it. I'll just have to brainstorm a way to get him to do it. He's way better at that type of thing than I am.
Now it's off to tackle the Monday Morning Mess.