Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Let this be a lesson to us...

Ever since we've started able mabel we've been pretty bashful about talking about it and handing out our business cards to our friends and family. I'm not really sure why. I suppose it's kind of like bragging or thinking we're hot stuff or something like that. Guess our parents raised us to be somewhat "humble" (for lack of a better word). We're no better than anyone else...and that is true.



Anyway, I always carry business cards around in my purse but hardly ever pull them out. A few weeks ago we had gone out to eat for a going away party for some of our friends (boo-hooo!!). One of our friends asked how business was going. Others chimed in wanting to hear more about it. Someone else mentioned that they've tried to find us on Etsy but haven't been able to. In a moment of bravery, I pulled out my business cards (feeling a little bit stupid for doing it though) and gave out three of them.

On Sunday JB called me and said that one of those friends that I gave a business card to wanted to buy a blanket and could I please bring it to church with me. Then the whole "doubting" thing kicked in..."Does she think she's getting ripped off? Are we charging too much? Not enough? Is it good enough for her? What if she doesn't like it once she sees it "in person"???" All those lame questions were going thru my mind. I know, I know, it doesn't make sense. I don't have any reservations selling to people I don't know but when you know them and know them well, it's a whole 'nother ballgame!

Then this morning JB called and said that our mom's oldest sister is in town and would like to see our stuff. We were going to meet for lunch and they'd like me to bring a sampling of what we have. (But bring all the purses) I was still doing the typical hem and haw at that point, wondering if I should even go. My house was still a mess and needed some serious help!

It was JB's turn to be not so sure about the whole thing. "what if they don't like it? should we even bother?", etc.

Needless to say...We sold three items to my mom and her sisters and sister-in-laws! Plus handed out 7 more business cards. We could have told a few more things but I didn't have them with me.

I was thrilled and it put a little spring into my step. At the same time, I know there is a very fine line between "hawking" your goods to friends and family, expecting them to buy from you and taking about it if someone asks about it.

Here's some of what we just sold...





No comments: