Friday, April 10, 2009

I've been busy the last two days

working on a skirt for my daughter. Why is it taking me so long? I'm totally winging it as I go. I don't have tracing paper and I don't want to cut apart the pattern, so I'm getting the dimensions as close as I can.

I'm not sure if I'm done with it yet. I keep having her try it on, taking it off, fixing something, having her put it back on, taking it off, fixing again...the seam ripper has been my best friend over the past two days. I've learned a ton as I've gone along.

Here is the first attempt. I decided I wasn't super wild about how the satin trim went on, or should I say, came together in the back. It looked a little sloppy. I like the overall look as opposed to this one...I was using pink thread and don't like how it shows, so glaringly, across the green square. I think I'll go back to the satin or maybe try a ruffle next. I'm also not super thrilled how it hangs on her. I guess that's what I get for not following a pattern to the T. I also fixed the gathering on the top light blue square. Yikes, I missed that the first time around!

I suppose I have to take into consideration that this is the first time I've ever attempted a piece of clothing. I'll get right someday, just for sure not on my first, or second, or third attempt.

Let's just say, able mabel won't be adding a clothing line anytime soon. I would die of embarassment if a sewer looked closely at this skirt! I've been having fun though! It's been worth all the time I've spent on it.


jen said...

Darling! I like it with the satin trim. Just glue or sew some funky ribbon over your topstitching!

Nicole Feliciano said...

I think the idea is wonderful. I can only imagine how hard it is to create.