Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sneak Peek at a work in progress

When plans to get together with a friend and sew the day away fell thru, I snagged the opportunity to consider this afternoon a "bonus day". Meaning a little research and development going on. I already had my floor washed, bathrooms cleaned, workout done, clean laundry tucked out of sight and mind in the laundry room. What else was there to do besides sew? ;)

A few months back I had purchased this double sided fabric from fabric.com.
It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It has a layer of batting-like fabric in the middle and is already quilted. I've been looking for ideas of what to do with it. It's too think for clothing.

Today I decided to try make a diaper changing pad out of it. I wasn't sure if it was going to be too thick or not. Add two pockets, a way to tie it shut and some binding for the edges. Easy peasy, right?

Yep, except some parts of the binding didn't pass QC. The biggest beef I have with it is that I started and ended the binding right in the middle of the outside, right where it's super noticeable. Not cool. What was I thinking?

I love the look of the rounded top edge. I'm still debating on exactly which type of closure to put. This particular one has the elastic with the decorative button (still to be added), similar to our other pouches.

I'm not sure I like the look with the binding. The verdict is still out on that one. When I do this again using other "normal" fabric, I think I'll experiment with the magnetic clasp idea, or possibly a snap.

A shot of the inside. I like the idea of adding pockets to store diapers and wipes. All you need all in one place.

This particular one is headed for the pile labeled "a date with the seam ripper", then I'll redo the binding. On the next nice day, you'll find me on the back deck with this stack, ripping seams to my heart's content. Sounds like a grand time, doesn't it? Anyone care to join me? :)

1 comment:

jen said...

Maybe if you lived a little closer...