Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What I've been working on

Way back in 2009, I started a pillow cover that I never finished.
It has sat in a tote since then.
Every once in a while, I pull it out and think I should finish it but I never do.

Last week, I turned it into a baby blanket and gave it as a gift.

It sat in it's tote with just the flower tops sewed on. Nothing else.
I kept getting stumped at what to use for the stems.
Ric rac didn't quite have the right feel or look, so back in the tote it went.
Obviously I didn't try very hard to finish it and by the able mabel didn't sell pillows anymore.
Yet, I didn't want to throw it away.
 After I had my baby, I decided to turn it into a blanket for her.
I got as far as to sew on brown satin ribbon for the stems
and to figure out the border.
But then it sat on my "good intentions" list.
A step from the tote. :)

As I fell farther and farther behind on baby gifts, I decided to finally finish it
and give it away. I spent a good part of one afternoon plugging away on it.
It was fun to do something different and a bit more creative.
 I used iron on paper to attach the leaves and then sewed in the "veins" (whatever they're called) to make them look a bit more realistic.

I used a coordinating charm pack (pieces of fabric already cut into squares) for the border.
Using the same technique as the light weight blankets I backed it all with a pink polka dot print.

Who knows, maybe someday I'll make some for the shop. :)

No comments: