Thursday, May 24, 2012

Week 5 Assignment

It was another two part lesson this week.

Part 1 was White Balance.
With a cooperative subject, we took a picture in each of our white balance settings.

I'm not sure a 3 1/2 month old with her arms flailing 90 mph
can be considered cooperative but she sure is a cutie!!
This picture was taken when I set a custom white balance.
(I didn't have anyone around to make her smile so she's be grinning at me but as soon as I put my camera up to my face, her eyes would get huge like she was trying to figure out what it was. :) )
 To do get a custom white balance reading, I set a grey card on her belly and took a picture.
That caused her arms to go even faster! :)

We had to post two pictures. Our favorite and our least favorite.
 My least favorite. Need I say anymore?
Judging by the look on her face, she agrees.
It's downright scary!
(Tungsten lighting is what my white balance was set to.)

Part 2 was In Camera Processing.
Basically changing the coloring of the picture using the settings on your camera.

 Neutral setting.

 Vivid setting.
I'm still not sure which one I like better.
Each has it's pros and cons.
I like how her eye color show thru on the top one.
Yet, I like how she "pops" in the second one.
Maybe if I had set my exposure a bit lighter while in vivid,
 I could have gotten her eye color.
Hmmm...
What do you think?!

When I was taking these, I was writing down which pictures went with what setting.
When I was done, my model said to me,
"Oh! I know why you are writing down all those numbers!
It's your speed shutter!!"
Apparently the whole family is taking the class with me.
Or at least picking up on some of the terms,
even if they can't get the words in the right order.

No comments: