Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It's a beehive of activity

around here. We are started our moving sale today and will continue tomorrow. After that, the rest of this stuff is going to Goodwill.

My father-in-law and sister-in-law were over here for most of the day today helping out. It's awesome to have such willing help but sometimes it's hard for me to let others do the work that I "should be doing". (washing windows, etc) Yet, at this stage of the game (week 32 in my pregnancy), I can't physically do everything without killing myself.

The moving truck is now parked in our driveway. We have until Monday to fill it up. As I sit here, roosting on my rump, my husband and his brother are filling it with the heavy items. We actually don't have much "big stuff". Good thing JB has some spare furniture we can borrow until our house sells since our couch and one of our chairs are now in the truck. I was teasing my husband that he should quit being so efficient or else he's going to have to help me with "my work" (cleaning out cupboards and washing walls).

This afternoon a lady (I'm guessing she was in her 60's) stopped by the sale and bought, much to my amazement, a box of nails and a bat of insulation (lesson to self: Never judge a book by it's cover!). As she was paying for her items, we had the following conversation...
  • Lady Jane: "You have a nice house here."
  • Preggo Mamma: "Thanks!"
  • Lady Jane: "You're moving."
  • Preggo Mamma: "Yep." (woman of many words today)
  • Lady Jane: "Guess you can't afford to live here anymore?"
  • Preggo Mamma: (very much taken aback) "Actually it's a job transfer."
  • Lady Jane: "You're expecting."
  • Preggo Mamma: "That's right."
  • Lady Jane: "Is this your first?"
  • Preggo Mamma: "Nope." (Sometimes I have a really hard time "fessing up" to what number this is for us, especially when I'm not sure if their reaction is going to be positive or negative. Today was one of those days.)

At that point we got interrupted by something else and that was the end of it.

Initally, I was so suprised at the fact she assumed our house was being foreclosed. Then when I think about it, I should be. Here we are; a young family, living in a nice house, in a development with nice houses, all you hear about nowadays are people getting in over their heads with their huge mortgages and foreclosing...I can see why she would think that. If we were being foreclosed, there would be no way we'd be dumping all this time, money and energy into this place to get everything done before we leave! But there was no way for her to know that...

(There goes another chair past the window.)

I got to dig thru the able mabel boxes again today! Fun! Go figure though, it always happens that the item(s) I'm looking for are in the very last box I look in. I have to write myself a big note to tell my husband to pack those boxes last! There will be about a week, maybe a week and a half, where any orders won't be able to be shipped out. Just one of the not-so-pleasant facts of moving.

Now that I've filled this post with run on sentences and ramblings...I'm going to waddle out to the living room and check on the progress.

No comments: